This weekend Baby E and I had pretty packed weekend with visiting with Family, getting the house on the market and running 2 5Ks. As I was running on Sunday I was reminded why 5Ks are such an awesome race and worth doing even for the seasoned runner.
1. Family Friendly – Of all the distances, a 5K provides the most opportunity for family participation. Everyone can walk or run it and it’s great to get kids involved early and show them what fun running can be.
Baby E is already a big fan of the 5K so I’m sure he’s going to want to keep doing them.
1. March of Dimes – Saturday, April 30 in Forest Park
2. Race for Sight – May 1 at Union Station Downtown
2. Easy to Find
– Because they are a manageable distance, many groups use them as fundraisers which means that you can always find one to run. Check your local running clubs website. Most have a calendar of events
. Plan it, do it!
3. Allows us Runners to be Philanthropic Doing What We Love
– This weekend we helped out 2 great organizations. March of Dimes
which helps promotes Healthy Babies and Run for Sight
which helps children with visual disabilities. No matter where you are, you can almost always bet that there’s some money going to charity which make you feel even better about running.
4. Renew Your Motivation To Run – I couldn’t help but people watch at these races and what I saw inspired me all over again. Before the race, I saw first time runners with nervous faces, I’m sure mentally doubting themselves. They were excited and anxious. During the race, I saw faces ease a little, I saw families having fun. Then at the finish line I saw excitement, a sense of accomplishment and in most cases, new runner addicts. It was great. I don’t care what your favorite distance is. If you want to remember that first run feeling, go do a 5K. I promise you won’t be disappointed.
5. Fun – Between the crowds, the emotions, and everything else they are just alot of fun. I’m hoping that Baby E and I will continue to do these and that one day he’s running next to me truly becoming my little running buddy.
So I had to leave you with a few other pictures of our weekend. Like I said, we got to spend time with family we don’t see much. Here you’ll see cousins meeting for the first time.
They soon became best buds!
We also got to see some friends from out of state. They too bonded. Baby E is going to have friends where ever he goes. He’s got his momma’s charisma. 🙂
Finally we just hung out. Baby E had the opportunity to try his soon to be cousin’s jacket on this weekend. He loved it and I know Baby Jack will too. I’ll have to let him borrow E’s new fedora. They go well together don’t you think.
Another side note, I also think E looks like he could be miniature version of one of my favorite singers – Jason Mraz. What do you think?